Skip to main content

Oct. 11 - Oct. 16 2017 Week 9

What a long week.  A part of that was that we had of time of not working on Monday and Tuesday for Zone Conference.  
     The zone conference was really good and this time I understood a lot more!  Gift of tongues is real.  But really we talked a lot about Hard work.  It is necessary for many of us to pass through hard times, but hard is good.  It is a sign to us that the Lord trusts us enough to do whatever it is and grow from it.  This principle I have seen a lot of in the mission, but even though it is difficult in the moment, I already see how much I have grown and changed since I left back in July.  If we replace our fear with faith, it helps us have patience and humbles us to rely more on Jesus Christ.  The other part of the conference was working with members and recent converts.  You are really critical to the work!
     We had a baptismal service for Roberto this week which was really nice.  I had the privilege of confirming him on Sunday during Sacrament meeting.  We have been blessed to also have a baptism this upcoming week and the week following!  It is incredible to me to see that as we throw our effort into the work that the Lord is guiding us to people who ready to accept this covenant and the fullness of the blessings that come from the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  Faith, Repentance, Baptism, Gift of the Holy Ghost, and Enduring to the End are critical and it is amazing to see people change their lives in a matter of weeks.  
We decided  to start working in a different area of our sector in the mornings because it is less dangerous at that time.  The people there live in humble circumstances but they have a great view of the city.  We hope to meet a llot of people there.
The pictures this week are from the Baptism
Posing for the camera (also felt safer lying down than standing)
Walking in the area above my sector.  Felt like it would have been iconic, but I need to work on the lighting ;)
Elder Porter
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints



From the family e-mail-
We are about to start baptizing weekly!  We have had 2 baptisms in 3 weeks, so a gap of a week, but we have a baptism this week and 3 for next week!  We are really blessed to be meeting with so many people.
     The lady that is getting baptized this week, we met during the intercambio (exchange).  She is 30 with a 5yr girl and she has never felt anything with other religions that her family attends.  Also her husband had recently left her which is super fome (lame).  Anyways we have taught her almost everything.  When we taught the Restoration, the Spirit was really strong.  (the other lesson was during another intercambio, then divisions) but we gave her parts of the Book of Mormon to read and she read all of the assignments including the Intro and a lot of 1 Nephi.  Pretty amazing.  Last night I taught the family that we are baptizing next week about the Palabra de Sabiduria (Word of Wisdom) and although they have a lot of challenges to overcome with this, they agreed to stop drinking coffee immediately cold turkey.  That was really neat and it was a lesson for me  in which I am starting to teach people and really know them and not lessons.  That is something I am constantly trying to improve.
     We decided to work in this one sector in the morning that is super poor and a little dangerous (that's why we go in the morning).  It is on the hill y se llama Cerro Chuño.  It overlooks Arica so that is pretty sweet.  We think it will be a goldmine.  So the pictures this week come from that.  Not all that you see city-wise is our sector, but a large part of it is.  We have a gigante sector.
     Also forgot to mention we had a 6.6 Earthquake last Monday night.  The people here are so used to it that the building didn't have any damage.  It happened at like 3 in the morning and since we live on the 4th floor we felt a lot of swaying.  My comp who is from Chile didn´t really think to much of it.  Elder James jumped out of his bed and ran for the door and pulled me out of my bed.  I was barely awake and so with that plus the movement, I was walking like a drunk.  Elder Guayasamin just sat up in his bed and looked confused.  We had some stuff fall but it was good.  Not really any other issues.  It is pretty loco here.  If it is ever about an 8, there are tsunamis, so I will look out for that during the misson!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

May 15-May 21, 2018 and May 22 -May 27, 2018

May15- May 21 Super crazy and I am running short on time so sorry! Probably the biggest news is that Elder Turner and I received special Transfers!  and it is not because we did anything bad. My comp is going to open up a new sector in Calama which is way hotter and colder than any other city in the mission.  It is like 4-5 thousand meters above sea level.  My new comp is coming in from another mission (south of Chile) and is from Argentina.  He is really new in the mission and I get the opportunity to train him de nuevo.  I am excited and a little nervous.  Its a big responsibility but I look forward to the challenge.  One thing Elder Turner and I decided to start saying is One degree more.  Whats the difference between water at 99 and 100 degrees?  It boils and so we are wanting to give just that little extra effort.  Should be a neat experience. So today was also my birthday and we were able to visit the Esmeralda boat today because today is also a Chilean holiday that mark

February 25, 2019 - March 11, 2019

Sorry to always be writing emails that are not terribly detailed.  I have been super tired this past week.  It was really good but crazy. Got to go on several intercambios this week and I made a goal to try to take a picture on each one but I wasn't super great at remembering so that's what the selfies are. We were also super blessed to baptize Marleny and her family.  It was a close small service that was one to remember.  It was a miracle to watch because it was just a ton of resistencia with her situation but we saw miracles. On Sunday night we did a zone attack in one of the sectors that are by the beach so that is that photo.  It was a little overcast and not a lot of gente, but we did contact this really cool Brazilian guy.  We have a Brazilian elder in our zone and we are always trying to talk with him in Portugese.  I am not to good at remembering stuff but it's common to here in the zone Duda bain (All Good) Sorry to all those that speak Portugese because

Oct. 24 -October 30, 2017 Week 11

Hello  all. It has been quite the week.  I had the chance to do everything as the penultimate week of my training.  Next week we have cambios and there is a chance that I may get transferred.  Who knows where.  The only thing is if I move, I have to leave a lot of the food I bought today in the Pension.   I did buy peanut butter today and it is very expensive.  I will be taking that in my suitcase but the rest will stay.  We are working super hard this week to do all we can to leave the sector in a good place if we leave.   Today for Pday we went to go see the Mummies that are here in a museum.  Apparently they are the oldest in the World.  Who knew?  It was actually nice to go see them because the museum is more up in the valley and there is actually a lot more green there.  It didnt feel like we were in the desert anymore.    This week we also finished teaching a family for baptism  next Saturday  and afterwards we got to see and hold the llama that they had purchased th