Skip to main content

March 13-March 19, 2018

Hey Guys!
It was one interesting week that we have had.  Not that anything particularly weird happened, but I just felt a little different this week.  Probably the biggest change was that we had a bunch of new transfers in the Zone and so with that there was Elder McKinlay that moved in with us.  He is really cool and has about 4 months left in the mission.  Actually, his personality reminds me a lot of Uncle David.
So this week we checked out the new house and it is way nice.  So nice in fact that last night (Sunday) we decided to take all our blankets and sleep over.  It was on the ground on the fake grass out back but it was a lot of fun even though we didn't do anything other than give our numbers and write in our journals.  It was kind of like camping though because we couldn't use the electricity or water until we move in officially so we brought flashlights.  I slept really well but some others didn't so much. I will remember to take more pictures this week.
So por fin, we also had a baptism this week.  We were really working hard for 3 but one of them didn't show up to church and the other did, but when we were going to have the baptism, he had had to leave for the airport.  So we are actually going to baptize him tonight.  We have been working with Esteban since mid February helping him to stop smoking.  He is a really chill kind of guy and both his parents are menos activos.  Anyway, I will send pictures of that next week.  We also found some really cool people to teach this week.
We are working pretty hard, but we were contacting this street and this guy walks by.  So we say hello and asks him if he wants to learn more (trying the direct approach) and he said yes (not the same drunk guy from the week before)  Anyway, Jan is super dope and he came to church and when we passed by to teach lesson 1, he said it answered a lot of his questions about God speaking in today´s time.  We were able to testify that he does and always will call prophets to guide us.  
 It has been one big learning experience in the mission.  I have learned a lot and I continue to see the Lords hand guiding my progression.
There are a lot of good times and also some hard times, but I have started to learn to appreciate both.  We have a lot of good people here in Chile.  We are actually teaching this one lady Paola and we have gotten her to stop cigarettes and she was really appreciative of that, but the thing is, is that the Lord is the one who has given her this guidance and meta (goal).  We really just challenge people to do the things the Lord needs like pray and it is interesting to see that that change comes from them and not us.  When people do what the Lord asks, they become better people.
Your guy´s Waco trip looked way fun. Were you guys just there for the weekend? The food over there looks really good and so did that Dr. Pepper museum.  I hear they have a store called Jumbo down in Iquique that sells more American stuff than Lider like root beer and Dr Pepper.  I still need to make a trip down there sometime.
Other than that looks like a lot of fun time down there.  I was talking with Elder Turner about how quickly the time has flown.  There seems to be 2 types of missions, one where the time seems to take forever and the other where it seems like the person had just left.  I feel like mine is more like the second.  We have conference coming up in 2 weeks and then after that it is just a hop, skip, and a jump to my 10month/birthday.  I remember talking about that point a lot  and now it has finally arrived.
I hope everything is going well with you guys.  Love and pray for you everyday
Elder Porter
chorus boys




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

May 15-May 21, 2018 and May 22 -May 27, 2018

May15- May 21 Super crazy and I am running short on time so sorry! Probably the biggest news is that Elder Turner and I received special Transfers!  and it is not because we did anything bad. My comp is going to open up a new sector in Calama which is way hotter and colder than any other city in the mission.  It is like 4-5 thousand meters above sea level.  My new comp is coming in from another mission (south of Chile) and is from Argentina.  He is really new in the mission and I get the opportunity to train him de nuevo.  I am excited and a little nervous.  Its a big responsibility but I look forward to the challenge.  One thing Elder Turner and I decided to start saying is One degree more.  Whats the difference between water at 99 and 100 degrees?  It boils and so we are wanting to give just that little extra effort.  Should be a neat experience. So today was also my birthday and we were able to visit the Esmeralda boat today because today is also a Chilean holiday that mark

February 25, 2019 - March 11, 2019

Sorry to always be writing emails that are not terribly detailed.  I have been super tired this past week.  It was really good but crazy. Got to go on several intercambios this week and I made a goal to try to take a picture on each one but I wasn't super great at remembering so that's what the selfies are. We were also super blessed to baptize Marleny and her family.  It was a close small service that was one to remember.  It was a miracle to watch because it was just a ton of resistencia with her situation but we saw miracles. On Sunday night we did a zone attack in one of the sectors that are by the beach so that is that photo.  It was a little overcast and not a lot of gente, but we did contact this really cool Brazilian guy.  We have a Brazilian elder in our zone and we are always trying to talk with him in Portugese.  I am not to good at remembering stuff but it's common to here in the zone Duda bain (All Good) Sorry to all those that speak Portugese because

Oct. 24 -October 30, 2017 Week 11

Hello  all. It has been quite the week.  I had the chance to do everything as the penultimate week of my training.  Next week we have cambios and there is a chance that I may get transferred.  Who knows where.  The only thing is if I move, I have to leave a lot of the food I bought today in the Pension.   I did buy peanut butter today and it is very expensive.  I will be taking that in my suitcase but the rest will stay.  We are working super hard this week to do all we can to leave the sector in a good place if we leave.   Today for Pday we went to go see the Mummies that are here in a museum.  Apparently they are the oldest in the World.  Who knew?  It was actually nice to go see them because the museum is more up in the valley and there is actually a lot more green there.  It didnt feel like we were in the desert anymore.    This week we also finished teaching a family for baptism  next Saturday  and afterwards we got to see and hold the llama that they had purchased th