Skip to main content

April 17, 2018 -April 23, 2018

Hey all.
So It looks like there are some new cambios in the zone and I am not part of it.  I am staying with Elder Turner for 1 more cambio making it 3 in total so far. This cambio ends in June when I complete 11 months in the mission which is so crazy to think about so I will just try to focus on the upcoming weeks.
We had a really good week as far as meeting new people but we only had 2 investigators at church :(.  We are surprised every time some cool person just seems to pop up in our path, but we know it is the Lord's doing and he is showing us the people that are prepared.  
We did have to say goodbye to Elder Turner (the other one).  He is going to the office in Antofagasta, but it was way cool sharing the pension with him.  We had a great house this last cambio but we will keep it going.  We did hang an American Flag outside the house with our names which was really refreshing.  It was kind of neat to see it flying and gave us some animó.
That is about the big things that have happened this week.  I will try to be a little more adventourous.
Until next time,
Elder Porter





From the family letter
Not a whole lot of noteworthy things happened this week.  We found out that other Elder Turner (ZL) went to the office to be secretary to president.  So we had a lot of fun para despedirlo.  Funny story, we were on the roof 2 nights ago eating sushi to say goodbye for Elder Turner and while we were eating, these young teen girls apparently were looking at us from across the street in their house and were saying that they liked us.  It was really funny because they tried saying it in English and it came out sounding really funny.
We also bought matching Colo Colo jerseys and took another photo shoot.  Also the photos with the puppy...  We had to go to the ZL church meetings as well because Elder Turner left and so we were there and a member asked us to look after his puppy during sacrament meeting.  We returned it after but if we had been using it to contact it would have worked great because immediately after, all the young women came out to look at it.
 So this week cambios came and I will tell you what happened. At the end of the email.  So basically this week was full of meeting a lot of cool people through members.  The crazy part is that we dont even have to look that hard.  The Lord just seems to put these people in our way.  Yesterday, Elder Turner and I came up with a list of 9 or so people that have a high potential of getting baptized in the next 6 weeks and so we were pretty happy about that.  We trust that the Lord will continue putting people for us to teach and help along the way.
Not really else much happened.  Our dope investigator was going to be baptized yesterday, but her parents are really against it and threatened to kick her out of the house.  So she is going to give us an answer this week.  Please pray for her.  She is 19 and her name is ....  She is just soooooo ready and she needs the help.  The other girl we were teaching, got back from Santiago so we are going to check in with tonight and follow-up with her.  I will write some more personal emails but this was just kind of a general happening of the week.
 Also Elder Packer from the Seventy is coming to visit us this next month!  Should be awesome
I am staying in Alto Hospicio with Elder Turner for a 3rd cambio!  Really strange but we are trusting in the Lord.  My whole mindset was bracing for a cambio of some sort, but the call never came and so it was kind of a shock for several hours.  It must have been because a lot of investigators and recent converts were praying that we would stay.  : ) It makes me pretty happy to know that you guys are putting in the scripture study in the morning.  Seems like a fun and tiring tradition.  I can't believe you guys are finishing up the school year.  The girls look a lot different.  but the Zone here is good and I was sad for some of the changes.  Elder Moon left to Iquique and so we will still see each other at zone conferences.  Elder Turner left for the office, but everything else will seem about the same.I am looking foward to all the changes that are coming with next summer with your move and coming home and everything,  but I also know I will be super sad when I leave the mision.  Anytime I am in a car or bus at night, I sometimes imagine it is the last night and I really don't like that thought.  I really love the people and the country here.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

May 15-May 21, 2018 and May 22 -May 27, 2018

May15- May 21 Super crazy and I am running short on time so sorry! Probably the biggest news is that Elder Turner and I received special Transfers!  and it is not because we did anything bad. My comp is going to open up a new sector in Calama which is way hotter and colder than any other city in the mission.  It is like 4-5 thousand meters above sea level.  My new comp is coming in from another mission (south of Chile) and is from Argentina.  He is really new in the mission and I get the opportunity to train him de nuevo.  I am excited and a little nervous.  Its a big responsibility but I look forward to the challenge.  One thing Elder Turner and I decided to start saying is One degree more.  Whats the difference between water at 99 and 100 degrees?  It boils and so we are wanting to give just that little extra effort.  Should be a neat experience. So today was also my birthday and we were able to visit the Esmeralda boat today because today is also a Chilean holiday that mark

February 25, 2019 - March 11, 2019

Sorry to always be writing emails that are not terribly detailed.  I have been super tired this past week.  It was really good but crazy. Got to go on several intercambios this week and I made a goal to try to take a picture on each one but I wasn't super great at remembering so that's what the selfies are. We were also super blessed to baptize Marleny and her family.  It was a close small service that was one to remember.  It was a miracle to watch because it was just a ton of resistencia with her situation but we saw miracles. On Sunday night we did a zone attack in one of the sectors that are by the beach so that is that photo.  It was a little overcast and not a lot of gente, but we did contact this really cool Brazilian guy.  We have a Brazilian elder in our zone and we are always trying to talk with him in Portugese.  I am not to good at remembering stuff but it's common to here in the zone Duda bain (All Good) Sorry to all those that speak Portugese because

Oct. 24 -October 30, 2017 Week 11

Hello  all. It has been quite the week.  I had the chance to do everything as the penultimate week of my training.  Next week we have cambios and there is a chance that I may get transferred.  Who knows where.  The only thing is if I move, I have to leave a lot of the food I bought today in the Pension.   I did buy peanut butter today and it is very expensive.  I will be taking that in my suitcase but the rest will stay.  We are working super hard this week to do all we can to leave the sector in a good place if we leave.   Today for Pday we went to go see the Mummies that are here in a museum.  Apparently they are the oldest in the World.  Who knew?  It was actually nice to go see them because the museum is more up in the valley and there is actually a lot more green there.  It didnt feel like we were in the desert anymore.    This week we also finished teaching a family for baptism  next Saturday  and afterwards we got to see and hold the llama that they had purchased th