Skip to main content

Jan 29 - Feb 4, 2019

Final week of the transfer happening.  Looking like there might be some changes in my companionship.
We had a really goo week working and finding some new people.  We finally got a couple to come to church that we have been working with.  and we had 2 baptisms! TA
The weather has been pretty brutal.  Cold showers are now my best friend and I hate cold water.  Elder Baines and I decided for lack of people in the street to knock some doors and ask for water as a contact method.  Everyone rejected us but they all gave us some much needed drinks.  It can be a little sketchy because the water here is loaded with heavy metals (copper, arsenic etc..) But my body is used to it now. Some guy even gave us an ice cream bar!   It is good to know that with each rejection, it just gives us more time ot find the ones the Lord is preparing.
Ran out of money because I had planned for a 4 week month instead of 5 weeks and so Elder Baines and I had a fun 3-4 mile run to centro to pick up money.  Cant wait to get back into shape
Had some pretty great experiences teaching about temples and family history work this week as president made an aclaration that with every lesson we have to include something aobut temples or FH and people have opened up a lot more.  Sé que there are people on the other side listening and waiting for their family to accept the gospel.  Hay que ser atrevido no mas. (Only have to be daring and ask)
Thanks for everything and hope you have a great week. 
Elder Porter

From the family e-mail

So sorry but it looks like it will be another week without uploads.  I dont understand because I am even on a newer computer and it istn reading m chip.  I have had a really good cambiowith Elder Baines.  He makes me laugh and I try to help him.  I am happy and it makes the time go by way quick.  We find out Friday of cambios.  It should be interesting.  This last week I was invitied to Consejo de Lideres.  We talked a lot about the need to work with members and well the bus with all the people from Iquique broke down which is is bummer but it was a really good meeting. 
I might be staying in the sector with Elder Coleman or might be going ot another city I don’t know, but the Lord puts us where we need to grow.  Also did an intercambio with Elder Howard in his sector which was fun.  They have this dog that lives outside their house named Abish and she follows them the whole day, will wait for us outside citas (appointments) and everything. 
Our convert from the first week got the priesthood yesterday so that was also a plus.  Pdte has us teaching more from Lesson 5 and it has kind of opened up my eyes to the gospel path as a whole and helping people understand temple work and redemption of the dead.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

May 15-May 21, 2018 and May 22 -May 27, 2018

May15- May 21 Super crazy and I am running short on time so sorry! Probably the biggest news is that Elder Turner and I received special Transfers!  and it is not because we did anything bad. My comp is going to open up a new sector in Calama which is way hotter and colder than any other city in the mission.  It is like 4-5 thousand meters above sea level.  My new comp is coming in from another mission (south of Chile) and is from Argentina.  He is really new in the mission and I get the opportunity to train him de nuevo.  I am excited and a little nervous.  Its a big responsibility but I look forward to the challenge.  One thing Elder Turner and I decided to start saying is One degree more.  Whats the difference between water at 99 and 100 degrees?  It boils and so we are wanting to give just that little extra effort.  Should be a neat experience. So today was also my birthday and we were able to visit the Esmeralda boat today because today is also a Chilean holiday that mark

Oct. 24 -October 30, 2017 Week 11

Hello  all. It has been quite the week.  I had the chance to do everything as the penultimate week of my training.  Next week we have cambios and there is a chance that I may get transferred.  Who knows where.  The only thing is if I move, I have to leave a lot of the food I bought today in the Pension.   I did buy peanut butter today and it is very expensive.  I will be taking that in my suitcase but the rest will stay.  We are working super hard this week to do all we can to leave the sector in a good place if we leave.   Today for Pday we went to go see the Mummies that are here in a museum.  Apparently they are the oldest in the World.  Who knew?  It was actually nice to go see them because the museum is more up in the valley and there is actually a lot more green there.  It didnt feel like we were in the desert anymore.    This week we also finished teaching a family for baptism  next Saturday  and afterwards we got to see and hold the llama that they had purchased th

Oct. 3 -Oct. 10 Week 8

Hello Everyone       I have had a great week and I hope it was the same for ya'll.  I completed 3 months in the mission last week and to celebrate I ate a delicious churasco.    Hoy día we went up to the Morro that is here in Arica and that was just fantastic.  It had some great views but I also realized how brown it is here.  There really is a limited amount of green.      I learned a lot about patience this week with myself.  I have noticed that I am still in the beginning of the mission and there is time.  I received a really personal impression from the Spirit during this week and that has given me a lot of comfort and peace.  My testimony of the fact that God knows us and helps us as we strive to develop and learn more has grown so much since coming out.  It isn´t always easy, but when it is easy I get complacent, and that is not why we are here.  We are here to grow and progress!  We have seen that with one of our investigators that we met last week.  He had a lot of tr